CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

5.02.2007

Kung Pao Chicken Lady

Okay, so by now you probably know that I was in Colorado Springs this past weekend. And you probably know why I was there. Nope, not to look for a job. Nope, not to see friends. Yep – I was there for the Chinese food. Now, don’t get me wrong, it was awesome to see everyone – but, I haven’t found a decent Chinese food place in Detroit that even comes close to what became my home away from home in Colorado Springs: Tsing Tao House. Let me take you on an imaginary journey through time and space and bring you to a place where you can truly understand where I’m coming from. At first, I thought Chinese food was all the same, that one place wasn’t necessarily that much different from any other place. Then, my mom brought me to Tsing Tao. It isn’t much to look at from the outside, and there isn’t much decoration inside, so I wasn’t expecting the amazing journey I was about to embark on. I ordered Kung Pao Chicken, House Style (mostly because they didn’t load it up with all sorts of vegetables I would just end up picking out and throwing away anyway). When they brought it out, it was steaming hot, obviously having just been prepared. I began salivating right as soon as I smelled it. Included with my lunch was a crab cheese wonton, and an egg roll. Now, not everyone can pull off the perfect egg roll. Some places put ginger and cinnamon in their egg rolls, which to me doesn’t even make sense, but okay…whatever. The Tsing Tao egg roll has the perfect combination of exterior crunchiness matched with interior tastiness. In other words they’re the best freaking egg rolls ever. The wontons (they call them rangoons) have the perfect proportions of cream cheese to fried wonton, not too little filling yet not too much. My family and I would come to Tsing Tao so often, that when they saw us coming in, they would get our drinks ready, and ask if we want the usual. So, now fast forward to this weekend. I’ve been gone for about 20 months, almost two years. I know that I have to make this dinner count because, well, I don’t know when I’ll be able to eat there again. I am drooling on the way to the restaurant, and excited to see if its changed at all – and to see my old friends, the waiters and waitresses. I told Elaina that there is no way they’ll remember me after this long and all the customers they have. Even in the parking lot, I can smell the Asian goodness cooking inside. We go in…I can sense the waitress looking at me, we sit down. I ask Elaina, “She’s looking at me, isn’t she?” She was. She remembered me – not only did she remember me, but she remembered my mom and dad and even what I always ordered – Kung Pao Chicken House Special Style. I told her I couldn't believe she remembered me, she replied, "Well, you came in every week." Its true, I did. I kind of went all out – trying to find a happy medium between savoring each bite with wanting to gorge myself. It was awesome, I’m drooling now thinking about it. I had to call my mom eat leave a message of myself eating a Rangoon, just to rub it in… She was not happy, she hasn’t found a great Chinese food place in Phoenix, either. Its sad, that’s true, but when you’re in the Springs, make sure you visit Tsing Tao House, and tell them the Kung Pao Chicken lady sent you by…

2 comments:

Sara said...

I know where I'm going for lunch today :) Just last week I found out my favorite place has new owners and they can't cook worth squat!

Anonymous said...

Hey Aimee, laughed a lot at this blog mainly bc I have a Chinese restaurant here that they all know my order before I walk in the door and they always speak to me in Cantonese. Hehee