CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

2.01.2008

Compassion International

Okay, well, many of you that read this are either current or former Compassion employees. But I know there are those of you out there who are not as familiar with the ministry of Compassion International...this post is for you.

This month a group of bloggers are heading to Uganda to see first hand Compassion's work in that country. I myself have experienced first (and second) hand Compassion's ministry. I worked for Compassion for 4.5 years before leaving in 2005. It was the best job I ever had. Not only that, I have sponsored three children through my years at Compassion: Cleiton from Brazil, Franci Valdo from Brazil and Lesvia from Guatemala. I have had the incredible opportunity to meet each of these young people in person in their own countries.

My last trip was to Guatemala in 2006. That was an incredible trip!! We got to visit several Compassion projects, and it just reminded me how much I take for granted everything I have. One home we visited was little more than one room that was divided by a partition with a 'crib' for the babies in the 'living room'. The crib was literally an old crate. The baby was playing with a strip of cloth. That was her toy. I was heart broken. But I also know that Compassion is doing a work in that family. The father used to be an alcoholic and with the church and Compassion's help, he is now working and making an income for this family.

I was also fortunate enough to meet Lesvia, my sponsor child and her father on this trip. We spent the day at the Guatemala Zoo. I think the part that broke my heart most was when she was telling me how nervous she was about meeting me, and how she wondered if I would like her. I told her I wondered the very same thing!!

If you are at all interested in sponsoring a child, please click the Compassion banner at the top of this page, or simply click here.

Like I said, I worked at Compassion for almost 5 years, and I know the 'inner workings.' Not only that, I've seen the ministry Compassion does overseas and it is Awesome. God has placed his hand upon Compassion, he really has. Besides I was this closed to being the Co-President of Compassion, so I mean, come on!! ;)

Here are some more pictures from the Guatemala trip in 2006. Enjoy! SPONSOR A CHILD!!