CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

7.24.2007

So...whats the point of life, anyway?

Some of you may remember the song I posted on this blog a few weeks ago. I wrote that song about a girl who I worked with here at the bank who was diagnosed with cancer. We learned last week that she passed away on July 15. Experiencing someone dying, especially someone so young (29 years old) like my co-worker, or someone so close like my uncle really makes you stop and think about the things that are important in life, and how short life really is. The bible says life is a vapor....a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. It makes you wonder, what is the point, or the purpose of life? You know? I've lately been thinking about things like this; life and its purpose and meaning. Wondering whats the point of it all. I'm here to tell you that if you think about this long enough, and with the wrong mindset, you can get very down and depressed. I did. So in my despair I asked God to lead me to a place in the bible to read. Distinctly I heard Ecclesiates....okay, never read that. Now, this is where sometimes I think God does have a sense of humor. So, here I am lamenting about life, struggling with what to do, crying out to God for the answer......do you know what the phrase in Ecclesiates says?

The words of the Teacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem:
"Meaningless! Meaningless!"
says the Teacher.
"Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless."

Aaah, God sure knows what to tell a struggling girl, huh? Ha ha ha! I'm not kidding, I read the first few chapters of this book, and actually looked toward the sky asking God, "Is this supposed to be helping me, or what?!" (It did, eventually...) Now, I've not finished the whole book yet, but its all talking about how nothing we do in this life matters. We spend so much time working, only to die and let someone else enjoy the fruit of our labor. Solomon wrote this book, and he talks about how he built great buildings and amassed great wealth, but he knows that in the end he is going to die and that none of his accomplishments or riches will follow him to heaven. So then, what is the point? What is the purpose of life? Well, I don't know............. But what I do know is this: if all the things we work for in this world fade away why should we work so hard for them. Instead, what we should really be working for is the one thing that won't fade away, that won't ever change or leave us or forsake us. I John 2:17 says, "The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever." It doesn't matter how much (or how little) money I make, or how many things I accumulate or how powerful I become, because all that will pass away when I do. All I can do is do the will of God. Besides, I figure, if I'm going to be with Him for eternity, I better do what HE wants.....or I may never hear the end of it.......LITERALLY! :)

3 comments:

Sara said...

There is an odd sort of comfort in the thought...

Unknown said...

Yeah, the Scripture that has been coming to me every since I started thinking about "life being a vapor" is when Jesus says "I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." Time is short so enjoy it to the fullest giving the Lord the glory all the way. No wonder He is always telling us not to worry or to strive for the things of this world, cause he knows how short it is going to be for us here on earth.

Anonymous said...

Aimee, Aimee, Aimee. What were you doing going to the Bible to find out about the meaning of life????
Monty Python took care of that!

Love comin' at ya from Susie