CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

12.26.2007

Ever Biffed It?

Okay, so this happened a few years ago, and my 'friend,' Elaina just LOVES this story...I don't. I don't think its all that funny....

It was winter in Detroit. I was on my lunch break and I thought, Hmm, Halloween is coming up soon, maybe I'll go to that costume store and look around. So I did, I took a little drive over the costume shop. The parking lot was pretty packed, but I snuck into a spot not too far from the entrance. This particular building was near my job and sat vacant most of the year, until Halloween came around, and for the month of October, it was a bustling costume shop. It was cold that day. I was wearing my hoodie. I had my iPod in my hoodie pocket, and both my hands were in there too. I was nearing the front of the store as was a group of people coming from the opposite direction. There was probably 6-8 people in the group. I slowed so they could go in first. I was fiddling with my iPod, still in my hoodie pocket while walking across one of those parking lot slabs of concrete. You know the ones people like to walk across like a balance beam. (you know you do it.) Thats what I was doing. Then it happened. My foot slipped off the concrete beam, and I started falling. Well, my hands were still in my hoodie, and I couldn't put them out in front of me to break my fall. And fall I did. My head slammed right smack onto the curb. I guess it would be more accurate to say that my FACE slammed onto the curb. Either way I fell and fell hard. And to make it worse....that group had seen the whole thing. One nice lady ran over to me and said, "Oh my goodness are you okay?" NO I'm not okay!!! I thought. Is that what I said? No. I got up as fast as I could off that sidewalk and said...."Whoa, I really biffed it." I really biffed it? Is that what I just said? Who says that anymore? I did. I hurt. I thought I might have cracked a tooth, and I could feel my lips swelling up. But, I didn't want those people to think I was really hurt. So I went into the store and started looking around. I tasted blood. I mirror and my mouth and teeth were red with blood. Gross. I left the store looking like I had bought one of those ugly masks. I got my looks for free that day, and without a mask.

My friend Elaina loves that story. She shares it with her friends. I never should have told her it. This happened a couple years ago, and she told it to someone just this week. It did get me thinking, though. How crazy that I actually got up and tried to pretend like everything was fine, when that whole group of people could see the blood on my teeth. I think we do that a lot. I know I do. We walk through life pretending we're fine. How are you today? Fine, you? Fine. Thats it, meanwhile our faces look like they just slammed into a concrete slab. That lady who helped me up wanted to help, but I was embarrassed. I truly needed help, but couldn't accept it. I had to act like I was okay even though I wasn't. But I didn't really have to. We should be sick and tired of walking around injured but pretending like everything is ok. The bible says we should carry one anothers burdens (Gal. 6:2). I'm all for helping you carry your burdens.......but I'll carry mine too. I don't need any help with mine. Why do we think like that? If I am not willing to let you help me, then I'm keeping you from being able to do what the bible says. Anyway....thats what I've been thinking about lately.

I hope you had an awesome Christmas! Post a comment, let me know you've stopped by, ok? :)

2 comments:

The AB club said...

That doesn't sound like if felt good, but it is funny. Did it leave a mark?

Sara said...

my last fall was not witnessed by anyone but yeah, it hurt like all get out :)

and yes, you have been tagged!!